Monday, December 28, 2009

Are there any substitutes for dog shampoo?

If you want more detail, my dog threw up and decided it would be nice to roll in it. She smells terrible and she also is a dog allowed on couches and beds and such, so I'm determined to wash her. I know that I can't use regular shampoo on her, is there any substitute that wouldn't dry out the skin?Are there any substitutes for dog shampoo?
i would use very DILUTED baby shampoo


dont get it in her eyes. whats not eye stinging for babies is eye stinging for dogs





hollyyAre there any substitutes for dog shampoo?
You can use regular shampoo and conditioner on your dog in a pinch like this. Just do a lot of extra rinsing, because any shampoo residue could make your dog's skin itchy. If you have any shampoos in the house that say they are for color-treated hair or that they won't strip hair color, they will be gentler on your dog's skin.








Good luck and hope your dog feels better!





ETA: I would not recommend dish soap because it has more detergent in it and could be more drying to the coat and skin that shampoo and conditioner. Whatever you use, the thorough rinsing is key to keeping from making the dog itch. When washing your dog yourself, it's often easier to dilute the shampoo and the conditioner in a large cup (like one of those plastic 32-oz cups) or a small plastic pitcher before applying it to your dog.
Oh my goodness! I bet that is a mess! You can use dish soap to wash a dog, and there shouldn't be a problem. Regular shampoo for people can be used, if you don't have dish soap. Don't use any special formula, like dandruff control, or for oily hair. This will dry her skin out. If possible, use an unscented shampoo. I wouldn't use it all the time, but once in a while isn't going to hurt your dog. Of course, it is better to use a shampoo that is formulated for dogs, but I understand your situation.





I agree with the above comments that baby shampoo can be used. It is probably better than regular shampoo, as it is gentler. If possible, use baby shampoo.
Baby shampoo .


Reg. human shampoo


Diluted dish soap Dove





You can also use human conditioner just this time.





Her oils will return with in a few days.





When I groomed back a few years, I used Dove dish detergent. I diluted it way down. Only a few dogs had a problem with it. Some I used the baby shampoo on them.
A one time use of your shampoo or some dawn will be fine just make shure you dilute it down and don't get it in the dogs eyes.





A one time wash is not going to hurt your dog just don't make a habit out of it.
I agree with everyone else baby shampoo is safe my vet even told me to give my pit bull a bath with baby oatmeal body wash/shampoo because we just found out she has allergies to grass and the baby shampoo will soothe her skin so......yea baby shampoo works great hun.
You don't have dog shampoo? If you don't can't you go buy some sensitive skin dog shampoo?





If not, use Baby Shampoo.
Dawn dish soap.It also helps keep fleas away
Johnsons baby shampoo, or just warm water.
Baby Shampoo
I'd use baby shampoo. It won't hurt their eyes.
they have shampoo for DOGs yah know..

No comments:

Post a Comment