Monday, December 28, 2009

Can I use my 'for people' organic oatmeal wash on my dog, instead of dog shampoo?

He is a chihuahua, doesn't shed almost at all but has dandruff. I figured oatmeal would be good for that, but could I use mine, or is it necessary to get his own?Can I use my 'for people' organic oatmeal wash on my dog, instead of dog shampoo?
Yes you can. Most pet shampoos tend to be less alkaline in nature then our shampoo. Just asses for itchy or dry skin. A rehydrater or creme rinse will be nessesary to lower the PH after your ';human'; shampoo. Rehydrater should sit on coat for at least 3-5 minutes before cool rinse. Leave in conditioners can also be healpful and often provide SPF.





YOu may want to try Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo. This is an effective treatment for humans and canines. Get the one with Coal Tar and Sulfer. This is excellent for occasional use for treatment of seborrhea, dandruff, allergy, bacteria, fungus, and dermatitis of unknown origins.





Keep shampoo out of eyes and ears.Can I use my 'for people' organic oatmeal wash on my dog, instead of dog shampoo?
The best is that you get a dog shampoo that treats his dandruff problem as the dog might not be able to take the contents in human shampoo.





You can also get those pet medicated sprays to treat his dandruff problem. I got a medicated spray for my coming 10 months old Beagle as he has got flakes and it is working quite well and I can see that there is improvement.
It's better to just get an oatmeal shampoo especially formulated for dogs. Then use a creme rinse conditioner, let it stay for at least 3 minutes. And don't forget to rinse your dog's hair and skin very well. Sometimes, dandruff is caused by not rinsing properly or not rinsing very well.
Make sure you read the labels....find out whats in the shampoo and do some research.....just because something is organic doesnt mean that it wont cause an alergic reaction.....maybe do a test patch on you dog first....I think that would be better than doing a complete wash with something that could potentially harmful to you dog.....I know my dog has very sensitive skin (as many staffordshire bull terriers do) and its taken me a lot of test patches and research to find what shampoo I cant use on him :)
I wouldn't use human shampoo, why don't you call your vet, tell them the problem and ask if they sell a suitable shampoo, if they say no, then you could ask them to recommend something. You don't actually have to make an appointment to see them.
i use people shampoo all the time on my dogs. they smell like oranges. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment