Monday, December 28, 2009

Can I give my wild turkey a bath with dog shampoo?

Her armpits are starting to reek and I can't find any turkey deodorant at petco.Can I give my wild turkey a bath with dog shampoo?
Don't use dog shampoo on birds, use Dawn detergent or J%26amp;J Baby shampoo only, and only when the birds has been contaminated by oil or petroleum based product.





Otherwise, if the bird is just ';dirty'; spray him down with plain water, or if he's suffering from itchy skin, they use an aloe vera juice %26amp; water mix.Can I give my wild turkey a bath with dog shampoo?
Absolutely not! That could be very toxic to her, making her extremely ill, or worse. Remember that anything that gets on a bird's feathers is going to end up in their system as they try to preen and clean themselves. It would also be next to impossible to be sure she is totally rinsed. You could end up causing her a lot of health problems, both from the outside and anything she might ingest. The best thing for any kind of bird or fowl to bathe in is plain water. But, if your girl is getting a bit stinky, you can dissolve some plain baking soda in some warm water. Use a clean cloth or cotton balls, (what ever works best) and give her a good soaking under those pits. And, stay away from that over the counter crap in pet stores, no matter what kind of bird or fowl you have. It's all worthless at best, dangerous in the worst case. Hope this helps and she is soon smelling much better.
Is this a joke? Why on earth would you own a wild turkey and even better why would you give it a bath? I hope this is a joke.
ha ha

1 comment:

  1. is this applicable to my pet standard bronze turkeys i use for breeding?

    ReplyDelete