Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is there another alternative to dog shampoo?

I'm taking care of my brother's dog and he hasn't had a bath in I don't know how long. My brother won't get any shampoo for him and won't wash him. Is there another way to safely wash a dog, not using dog shampoo? I'd like to clean him but don't want to hurt him or his skin by using something that isn't meant for him.Is there another alternative to dog shampoo?
If you can't use an animal shampoo, I recommend an oatmeal and aloe-based shampoo. they are good for dog's skin and coat, and can be bought about anywhere. Because om my dog's skin allergies, my vet recommended that I use oatmeal/aloe. I get mine at Wal-Mart.


PS: Contrary to what a lot of people say, dishwashing liquids, even though they kill fleas, are too strong for dogs and many times cause severe itching and scratching in dogs.Is there another alternative to dog shampoo?
I don't know the history behind why your brother won't get dog shampoo, but I use a natural dog shampoo (raspberry scent) on my black lab and his coat comes up beautifully, really shiny and smells lovely. The smell fades pretty quick though, and the 'dog' smell returns. I got it at a normal pet shop. It doesn't lather very well (probably because it has natural oils in) but it really does make his coat very soft. I always groom him with a grooming glove before his bath and after when his coat is dry.


If he is really smelly, you can also buy spray on fragrance for dogs, I use the coconut one and it also smells heavenly.


My dog is a very soft lump and doesn't mind all this perfumery - he seems to like it!
Don't use a human shampoo. The Ph balance is all wrong. Baby shampoo is slightly better than adult shampoo but it's still far better to get a proper dog shampoo. Unless this dog is really 'ripe' it might not be entirely necessary to bath him although they do need to be bathed occasionally to keep their skin healthy. I tended, when I wasn't actually showing to bath mine when their coats started blowing, in the Fall and Spring. Then obviously if there was a problem (like they decided to roll in something nasty!) I'd bath them.
Dawn or Ivory dish soap are both great for bathing dogs and cats. They even kills fleas!!! If you are worried the dog might have sensitive skin, you can use baby shampoo instead.
baby shampoo can be used
Dish soap.





I even washed my dog with my body wash and he was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment