Monday, December 28, 2009

Dog shampoo?

I have a sylkie terrior, and ive been using my shampoo and conditioner to wash him, but someone told me your not sopose to wash dogs with human shampoo, so i was curiouse. what would be the best dog shampoo if i cant use mine?Dog shampoo?
No, you should not use human shampoo for dogs - it strips the oil from their coats and dries their skin.





I show one of my dogs and use what was recommended to me by a number of groomers and handlers - HyLite dog shampoo. It has no soap, does not dry out the coat or skin, leaves the fur shiny and beautiful. It can be bought at some vet's and online - a bit expensive, but goes a long way, you don't use much.





It makes an enormous difference in the dog's coat, believe me.Dog shampoo?
Dog and human skin have different pH levels, shampoo for humans is not formulated for dogs and can dry their skin out or cause reactions.





I've tried a few different types of pet shampoos, but my favorite by far has to be Earthbath. They are all natural, biodegradable, and smell great. I like the Oatmeal and Aloe Vera formula because my dogs tend to have dry skin.
OK, don't tell anyone I said this but you can actually use human shampoo and conditioner on a dog who has ';hair'; versus fur. I know there is all this BS out there about PH Balance etc... but in my many years of showing dogs and rescuing dogs and working in an animal hospital I have never seen any dog's skin fall off or any ill side effects of people using their shampoo on their dogs. Diet,nutrition, genetics, grooming tools, grooming time, and not overly bathing your dog really play more of a role than the type of shampoo you use.


So with that being said, I use Bio-Groom aloe %26amp; oatmeal shampoo %26amp; conditioner on some of my dogs not that I think it's the best but you can buy it by the gallon and I have 7 dogs and I get fosters all the time. One of my dogs gets conditioned with Garnier Nutrisse human Conditioner because it's like she oozes oil from her coat and that or Dawn dish detergent is the only thing that keeps her squeeky clean. On my Afghan I use Pet Este Japanese Charcoal shampoo %26amp; conditioner and her coat is ';like butta''; :)
Whoever told you that was correct. Human shampoo can damage doggies skin.





Any brand of dog shampoo should be sufficiant. There are many brands geared towards different problems or desired results. If your dog has no problems, I would suggest a simple oatmeal shampoo formula. It is good for the skin and coat, and smells wonderful
A neighbour of mine had a Poodle mix. They used to wash her with their shampoo, and she had horrible, bleeding sores all over her body, and all her hair fell out. It was heartbreaking.





I wouldn't risk it. Go to the vet and get recommendations.





EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I use an Oatmeal shampoo on both my dogs. Snowy used to have horrible skin conditions (she's a Bichon, and it comes with the breed) and the shampoo calmed it! It was amazing! I recommend it, as long as you don't get the cheap stuff. Check the ingredients.
This is true the PH level in human shampoo is to high and dries the dogs skin


Any dog shampoo would be fine.


Now for the conditioner


Put about 1 inch of Downy in a gallon jug 9 I use cleaned milk jug) fill teh rest with water and use as a conditioner. I was taught this in Dog grooming school and it works great
Yes it is true the chemicals are so strong resulting in rashes and bumbs.


Ask your vet my dogs use a vet required shampoo because all the dog shampoos from the store are garbage
I use and oatmeal based shampoo on all my dogs just because it helps to keep their skin calm and also gives them a beautiful coat
Human shampoo can irritate their skin and its probably best to use any shampoo that you find in the pet isle at walmart or your pet store.
That's what they say, but I've never seen anything wrong w/using our shampoo and cond. on our Maltese. She has a beautiful long silky coat....no skin problems.
they have tons i would use morsirizoir dog shampoo
it's fine if you use your own shampoo.

1 comment:

  1. This text is worth everyone’s attention. How can I find out more? Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips.

    Brianna recently posted...best shampoo for golden retrievers

    ReplyDelete