Saturday, December 19, 2009

How often should I wash my 3 month old pug with dog shampoo?

he stinks, and Im not sure if washing him too much with dog or baby shampoo will irritate his skin. So how often should I wash him and with what kind of shampoo? ThanksHow often should I wash my 3 month old pug with dog shampoo?
I remember giving my pug his first bath. It is perfectly okay and correct to use a mild ';Puppy'; shampoo formula.





Somtimes pugs get a little ';stink'; going because of their little wrinkles. You can buy eye wipes and very gently clean the wrinkles around the nose and eyes (not as scary as a q-tip).





Also, you should clean his ears. You can buy drops that go in the ear to assist with this. After this you rub the ears and again very gently you can clean out the ears with a soft cloth or a q-tip (don't go in the canal though)





All these tips will really help keep your little pug smelling fresh! I have to bathe mine once a week :)How often should I wash my 3 month old pug with dog shampoo?
...not more than once a week. If your pug's skin smells, it might be a good idea to get him checked for allergies and/or infection. Pugs are notorious for skin problems.
You should only wash dogs when dirty. People shampoo is a nono, baby shampoo ok, dog shampoo best. Pugs get smelly in their wrinkles, maybe consider taking a cloth and pot-cleaning his icky spots with warm water. Don't fully bathe with shampoo more than every 2-3 weeks, if you must work on him mroe frequently try a plain warm-water bath and scrub him down with a nice rubber brush. Pay special attention to his nose folds and his ears, buy special ear cleaner if necessary, pugs notoriously have bad ears and maybe the smell is just his ears after all. :) Good Luck!
You can use baby shampoo. The thing is that people shampoo strip hairs from all the stuff we put in it and you don't want to use people shampoo on pets since it will strip the coat of oils and give the dog dry skin baby shampoo is milder, I use dog shampoo on my dog but I was his face with baby shampoo so that it wont burn his eyes. Dog should be bathed about every 3-4 weeks you don't want to over do it.
I have a pug and from the reading I have done one thing that is usually sensitive to them is skin...and overbathing can strip the dog of its natural oils leading to skin problems...I had this problem myself due to crate training probs that I had with my puppy and former roomate....I would come home from work and he would be covered in poop because the roomate wouldnt take him out...So bathing was a necessity..So if frequent bathing is a must use a good conditioning shampoo for dogs....and if any skin probs arise...like dry skin or rashes ask your vet for advice. They are a wealth of knowledge.
If you wash your dog too often his skin will get stripped of essential oils, but once a month is good. I wash my dogs with tick/flee shampoo and then put baby bum cream on their tummies, they like that and it smells good.

No comments:

Post a Comment